Drinking at a young age can have a long lasting, negative impact on you.
You probably don’t realize that your first experience with alcohol consumption can have a negative effect that can last for years. In fact, because your body is still developing well into your teenage years, alcohol can actually create permanent damage that could seriously compromise your abilities as an adult. Here are some facts to consider:
- Alcohol is the most commonly used and abused drug by youth in the US.
- 51% of youth say that a friend got the alcohol for them or bought it for them.
- 86% of youth say they drink in their own or someone else’s home.
- Alcohol use is strongly associated with suicide ideation.
- Alcohol related costs in New Mexico total more than $243 million per year.
How drinking alcohol can screw you up:
- School suspensions/expulsions
- Missed learning opportunities
- Impaired social/mental development
- Academic failure
- Psychological/emotional problems
- Drinking & driving